26 November 2008

Giving Thanks...

As I approach this Thanksgiving I am finding that I have a lot of different feelings than I've had in years past. Last Thanksgiving I can't honestly say I was thankful for very much. I should have been. I was blessed just like I am now. But, it was hard to say Thank You God for everything that was going on in my life. I had just moved to North Augusta, just started a new job in a new field, just started a new church, and basically was the most ungrateful person I've ever seen. A lot....let me emphasize...A LOT has happened over the last year. I've experienced things that I have never wanted to experience. But, I see where God has been and is continuing to grow me and challenge me. For that, I am forever grateful. I feel like I am (somewhat, although I have such a long way to go) finally starting to figure out the woman God wants me to be. The things about myself that have been exposed in this last year are hurtful, but so very necessary to learn so I can grow. But, honestly, this is not the reason why I am writing this blog! Haha!

I was thinking last night and this morning about my dad. I was thinking about how much I really do miss him and wish he would be sitting at the Thanksgiving table with our family. There are still times (many times) when I ask questions. I still wonder why I can't have my dad here with me. A lot of people just do not understand how much it can still hurt after years and years. But, this morning as I was drying my hair I was actually thanking God for 16 years with the greatest dad ever. I was remembering things about him that make me smile. Things like:
  • How every Valentines Day that I can remember when he was alive, I would wake up on that morning and have a stuffed animal or candy or some kind of present from him with a sweet card saying how much he loved me.
  • How he would drive me to school and we would both sing awful country songs. He really couldn't sing at all!
  • How I would fake sick at school (A LOT!) and the nurse would let me call my dad. He would always come get me. (And, I think he knew a lot of times I was faking. I've never really been a good faker!) He would take me back to work with him and then take me to Bojangles and get me a biscuit and chocolate milk. Or, he would take me later to Zestos and get me ice cream. He would let me play solitaire on his computer while he worked. And, sometimes he would lay out blankets in his office for me to lay on.
  • How he was at every softball game I can remember playing in.
  • How he would come and eat breakfast with me at school.
  • How he told me when I was in 8th grade that he would send me to college wherever I wanted to go. He would find a way to pay for it.
  • How he looked at me on Sunday while I was singing in the choir at church. It was a different look than I had ever seen before. He died on Tuesday. Side note: it's crazy how 2 days after I am praising and worshiping Jesus, I am cursing him with everything I have and denying that He is good.
  • How he encouraged me to be in Joyful Sound starting when I was in 8th grade.
  • How he would swim in my kiddie pool with me and act like an idiot to make me laugh.
  • How he never forgot to tell me he loved me.
  • How he wanted me to go on trips with him when he drove his truck because he loved spending time with me.
  • How he would give me an allowance, but would always give me more if I asked for it.
  • How he loved my mom and my sisters.
  • How he told me that I would never be allowed to move out of the house. When I got married, we would have to live in his basement.
  • How he was always at my band and chorus concerts.
  • How he still loved me in spite of how awful I was to him during the early teen years.
  • How he would sit on my stomach when I would have "cramps" because it made me feel better to have pressure there. (It works, I promise!)
  • How I would lay on his back while he was laying on the bed watching tv and watch it with him.
  • How he forced me one time to watch wrestling...against my will...and then I was hooked and became obsessed with it.
  • How he would take me out in the backyard and play softball with me.
  • How after I got stung by a jellyfish (which was his fault!) he took care of me.
  • How I watched him and my mom throw out any and all alcohol in the house because the Holy Spirit convicted them and they obeyed.
  • How he loved Jesus and told others about Him.
  • How he had some kind of speaker thing in his truck and when he would drop me off at school, he would always say "bye baby, daddy loves you" and EVERYONE could hear it! I was so embarrassed, but now I would give anything for people to hear him say it.
  • How he named his trucking company after his family. 4 M'S Trucking (stands for Mike, Mary, Marcy, Michelle, and Sandra).
  • How I had the best dad in the world.
So yes, I am beyond grateful for all of these moment and all of the years that I did have with him. Of course, I wish I could go back and change things but that's not how this life works. I hope he can see me now. I hope he was at my high school and my college graduation. I hope he came to some Joyful Sound concerts. I hope he knows my passion for Moldova and the people there. I hope he is proud of his daughter.

This Thanksgiving and every day before and after, I am thankful for Michael Ard, my dad. I love you. I miss you. And, I can't wait to see you again.

Oh PS....my mom is awesome too! :)

No comments: