These last 2 months I feel like I've been on a huge roller coaster. After surgery I quickly fell into this pit of depression due to the fact that I went from being normal to not being able to move without yelping in pain! Here I am 8 (Good Lord!!!) weeks later and I'm still trying to get back to normal. I'm never having surgery again!
Anywho, I've been on this journey through Exodus and I can't believe the things I'm seeing that I've never noticed before. In regards to when Moses was trying to get Pharaoh to release the Israelites we know that God chose to continually harden his heart and not release them. I finally got to the point where I was tired of reading "and God hardened his heart..." I asked myself, if God already knew that they were going to escape why was it necessary for all of these plagues to happen? Why couldn't they just be let go the first time? But if you continue reading you will see where God plainly tells Moses that all of this is happening so that Pharaoh and the Egyptians will know that He is the Lord and so His name will be glorified! At different times in my life I could relate to each person in this account. I've felt like Moses and Aaron trying desperately to encourage and uplift people who believe they are in a hopeless situation and in bondage. I've felt like Pharaoh where one lesson from the Lord did not sink in and I had to continue encountering troubles until I finally recognized His hand. I've felt like the Israelties and have just wanted to be free from enslavement.
Moving along, last night I read chapters 15-17. The majority of the 15th chapter is nothing but praise and adoration to the Lord for who He is and how He delivered. Immediately we see a turn of events that happens only days later. The people go from loving adoration and words of praise to complaining and bitterness about their circumstances. My first reaction was unbelief that they would complain about something that only a few days ago were rejoicing over. Of course the Holy Spirit would then say "sound familir, Michelle?" Dangit! Got em! Of course it sounds familiar because I treat God the exact same way...except it doesn't take me days to go from one bipolar pole to the other...it only takes hours or minutes! We allow our circumstances to dictate how good God is instead of just believing that He is good...no questions asked.
My favorite verse in Chapter 17 is verse 12. The Israelites are commanded to fight the Amalekites. As long as Moses keeps his hands in the air the Israelites were winning the battle. Aaron and Hur were right there alongside Moses as he is watching this battle. What I love about verse 12 is the depiction of a respected leader. Aaron and Hur believed and trusted that Moses was following God's will and that was enough for them. They stood beside their leader and held up his arms so he wouldn't have to be alone. They didn't need to know details...they didn't need recognition...they weren't doing it to gain a higher respect for themselves...they did it because they respected Moses as a man of God and knew that God's power resided in and over him. My prayer is that I will have that same attitude in regards to the people in my own life who are seeking to glorify God with their lives! I want to be the person that stands up for them when they are attacked by the enemy. I want to be the person that prays for them daily and encourages them with kind and affirming words. I want to be the one who will always hold up their arms when they get tired.
Hopefully soon I will be able to finally give the update I've been waiting in anticipation to share with everyone! We'll see! By the way....if you haven't listened to this sermon yet, I URGE you to do it!! HOLY CRAP!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment