Keeping up with blogging is not very high up on the priority list of life, hence why I haven't even touched this thing since July. But I'm sure there's one...maybe even two...of you who are just mourning in ashes everyday because you have no idea what's going on in North Augusta land! Right.
On August 10 I began a Bible reading program called B90X. It's definitely a spin off of P90X, the intense workout plan that has everyone raving about their new ripped abs. The challenge of B90X is to read the entire Bible in 90 days through the lens of a particular ministry you are involved with. For example, I work primarily in student ministry so as I read I try to pull out principles, values, etc. that I can specifically apply to student ministry. The point is to have a ministry that is Christ-centered and biblically based. How much more biblical can you get if you're actually modeling Scripture. The ultimate goal is for an entire church staff to take this challenge, continue to discuss what God is teaching throughout the 90 days, and then come together at the end. Imagine if an entire ministry staff (children, music, youth, administration, pastoral, etc.) read the entire Bible with the same goal in mind. My friends, that's how we can begin to become the Church that we were intended to be. The beautiful bride of Christ.
Only by God's grace and mercy did I finish on November 6. It was at least an hour to an hour and a half of reading everyday (about 15-20 chapters). I really had to alter my lifestyle...which is funny because it only consists of being at church...in order to fully complete it. But in the end, the restored hunger for God's word was more powerful than ever. Now, finding 30-45 minutes a day to spend in Scripture really is not that hard to do. There were many things that God taught me or reminded me of throughout this journey, some very personal. It's really hard to read through Acts and God not light a fire under me to stand up for His Church. When we teach our students about being the Bride of Christ and about worship, I immediately look to the foundation that was built in the early Church and to those who set the stage. You read many times in the New Testament about the importance of leaders. Do we (as a student ministry staff) truly seek out and disciple leaders? Do we invest in them? Do we give them opportunities to actually lead? In the Old Testament when reading about the Ark of the Covenant and the temple, there is tremendous focus on detail. Why do we need to know about every single dimension and measurement of the temple? Why is it noted that the Ark of the Covenant is lined with gold on the inside? God care about details! God cares about what happens on the inside of our ministry. Are we working together to acheive a common goal? Are we striving for excellence in everything we do? Or are we just throwing things together last minute and hoping they turn out ok? God sees the heart of your ministry, the motives. Now, I know that I am "just a secretary" but I still feel that it is my duty and calling to invest in these students while I am here. How can I teach them the truth if I'm not reading it and learning from it? I am so very thankful to work for ministers who allow me to do this and don't just view me as their copy girl.
Another addition to my life since coming home from Moldova has been my new part time position as the worship leader for our contemporary service. We still have a praise team, but my job now includes making set lists, facilitating rehearsals, handling all the administrative business, etc etc etc. I will say that I have always loved music and being involved in music ministries, but doing this has stretched me way beyond comfort. I love it! What a level of accountability too! It's such an honor to be able to stand before my church and declare Jesus as Lord and worship Him. I always challenge my team and say "don't come to church TO worship. Rather, come to church worshippING." (And, I'm pretty sure I borrowed that quote from somewhere but I can't remember!)
And now for the big news....I have FINALLY been officially invited to begin the process with Crossover Communications to serve in Moldova for 12+ months!! The application is in and now I'm waiting for that to be approved so I can meet with them to receive my budget for support raising. I also will have to undergo psychological evaluations with a counselor. I don't really know if they understand what could potentially be unleashed :) The last quote I got about my support was that it would probably be between 20 and 30,000. Whew! Lord knows He's gotta supply that! And He will. My target date is to leave November 2010 and return around March 2012. My job in Moldova (right now, it could be modified) is to work with a group of youth girls in the church that I've served at the last 6 years. I will disciple them, teach them, and train them on what it means to be a missionary (or be on mission for Christ). Then, we will move from hearers to doers when we seek outreach opportunities around the city of Chisinau. Ultimately, my goal is to contact at least 2 village church planters and then take groups out to serve them. Many Moldovan believers need motivation and mobilization to be missionaries. I want them to know that they have a vital and intregal part in spreading the Gospel to the world.
I feel God trying to instill thankfulness into my spirit. I'm thankful for so many things...but there are those things, situations, people, circumstances that surround me that I tend to see more as a frustation than I do a blessing. My daily prayer is that God will continue doing His great work in my heart and giving me a greater desire to serve Him in a place that needs Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment