29 November 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!!

While America celebrated Thanksgiving last Thursday with all the yummy foods and time with family, I went and checked out our mall here by myself and had KFC in the food court for my Thanksgiving meal. Ok, 2 things about that sentence that I still can't get over are: 1) the mall (ironically named "Mall Dova"!) is huge. It looks and feels exactly like an American mall. And 2) KFC???? Needless to say, I felt right at home.

My roommate, Veronica, is just wonderful. I was telling her about Thanksgiving traditions and how I would be with all of my family, and then she suggested that we get a group of people together to have our own 'Thanksgiving.' So Saturday was my Thanksgiving Day! The only thing that was missing was the Macy's Day Parade. We got up and met our friends downtown and went to the ice skating rink. I had never been ice skating before in my life, so I was quite nervous about breaking bones. I am very proud to say that I did not fall once! I guess all those years roller skating at Skate Station USA paid off! After skating we all came back to our apartment where we ate Mamaliga, a traditional meal in Moldova that's one of my favorites. While at the table, I told everyone about a tradition at Thanksgiving where everyone goes around and shares one thing they are thankful to God for. So, we all did it and it was such a neat time. After lunch, we hung out and played games until it was time to leave for the youth meeting at church.

I had such an incredible day and I hope that there will be many, many more like it! One thing that I am truly grateful for here is the emphasis that is on relationships. If you know me, you know I love people and getting to spend time with great friends. This Thanksgiving, even away from home, was one that I will never forget and will cherish forever. I am forever thankful for the opportunity to serve God in a place with such wonderful people and fascinating culture!
Now, enjoy some pictures from the day...

Playing a game. When you roll a double you must put on the hat, scarf, and gloves and then open the candy, cut it in 3 pieces, and eat it piece by piece; repeating until another person rolls a double.

My wonderful roommate and friend, Veronica :)

Playing Uno!

Mamaliga!!

We survived ice skating!

I was finally brave enough to let go of the wall and try skating like a normal person!

My beautiful friend, Nelly!

Mark, me, Veronica, Natasha, and Rafael

Christiana, Irina, Veronica, and me

On my Thanksgiving Day it SNOWED :) :) :) :)

No comments: