22 March 2010

A Naive American's Opinion....

I have to admit that I am one of the vast majority of Americans who does not follow or understand much about politics. I've just honestly never been interested. Maybe that makes me an ignorant American. In light of that, I would never share my personal opinions about who I think is right or wrong, or how things could be better, because I do not take the time to research and learn about how the government works or what different policies mean. The point of even posting anything about this today is because I am seeing incredible amounts of buzz regarding the passing of the healthcare reform bill, as was expected. One person is praising it, the other cursing it. I will have to say that many of the comments I read do not emit any sort of sense of humility.

I'm grateful today that God is sovereign over all. Does that mean we sit back and not stand up for convictions, whether for or against something? Absolutely not. As long as Jesus Christ and His Holy Spirit are guiding our thoughts and actions. The God that I read about in Scripture and have placed my trust in is JUST. When we turn from Him it is not good news for us. However, when we allow Him to work and bring all things together He is glorified and exalted! I pray that the responses to this bill and to each others comments will be presented in humility and with respect.

My devotion this morning could not have been more perfect for today. Charles Stanley published "Into His Presence" in the year 2000. Yet today, 10 years later, I read this written for March 22:

Whether or not the man who leads your country is one you have personally chosen is not the issue. Once a leader is elected or placed in a position of authority, each of us has a responsibility to pray for that individual.
You need to be committed to pray for his personal relationship with Christ and his willingness to seek God's wisdom for every decision. Pray that your leader would learn to hate evil and love righteousness. Only then can true justice be administered in the maze of government and politics.
Be committed to pray that your leader's convictions will be based on God's Word and not preferences founded on the unstable ground of political consensus. Ask God to protect his family, and pray that each family member would be given the opportunity to know Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.
Rulers often think they are in control of their country's circumstances, but God is quick to point out that He is Lord over all. Men and nations are under the control of God and not the House of Representatives, the Senate, Parliament, or any superior court.
You may feel as though your prayers are insignificant, but they are vital links to God's throne room where eternal decisions are made on a daily basis.

O God, rulers are under Your authority - every politician, every law enforcement officer, every judge. You are Lord over all. I pray for blessings upon these leaders today.

No comments: